Tuesday 13 October 2015

Halloween Milk Carton Box


Halloween is nearly here and I hope you've be enjoying the projects I've been sharing. I've loved working with Stampin' Up's Halloween range this year, especially the Witches' Night stamp set (I know! I've kept so quiet about it too!).

This is my little Halloween Milk Carton Box and I love it! I'm especially proud of the nod to the Amityville Horror in the dear little Dutch gable above the door.

Yeah... That probably sounded a *bit* weird.

 
I've decorated it using the Happy Hauntings Designer Series Paper pack. It's full of fun little Halloween patterns that aren't too in-your-face. And of course the Spider Web Doily had to put in another appearance! I've doubled it over the closed top of the box and held it in place with a mini peg (covered by the stamped crows), so it's removeable.

And that's important because...




The box is top opening, so you can drop treats in! At around 2.5" x 2.5" x 3.5", it's big enough to hold something substantial - maybe even a cupcake?


I used the Gift Bag Punch Board to make this basic milk carton box shape 


Yup! You can use the Gift Bag Punch Board to make milk carton boxes and I have a video tutorial showing you how to make the basic box, above, here. (I've also uploaded tutorials for making lidded milk carton boxes too - have a poke round my blog).


I made the roof tiles using the scalloped die from the Cutie Pie Thinlits die set. I used it upside down to cut pointy edges & layered them up. You can get the same effect using scalloped scissors.

For the door, I punched some Black Glimmer Paper using the Note Tag punch, and also punched out a couple in orange paper & used them behind it, to frame it. The Dutch gable is a section of the Trick or Treat stamp from the Witches' Night stamp set (that's where the crows on the peg come from too). Just make sure you glue it by its bottom edges to the top front edge of the box and not the edges of the "roof", so that the box can open without tearing it.

I made the windows by punching small squares of the spider patterned paper and sticking them together with a gap, to look like a frame. The window ledge is an offcut from the treat bag I made the other day (see? Never throw anything away!!).



Then I layered some spider web doilies on the walls of the house to give it some more texture and interest.

My favourite little finishing touch is the wee ghosty in the attic - he peers mournfully out from under the eaves at the back of the box. He's cut out from a piece of the patterned paper too, and popped up on Stampin' Dimensionals.



Hope you like it & have a go at making one yourself. Let me see what you make if you do!

You can buy the elements I used from my Stampin' Up! shop & it would be ace if you did :)



Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

2 comments: